Maintaining arm strength and flexibility are key factors in having a healthy arm, which will in turn help in avoiding soreness and arm injuries.
Using resistance stretch tubing and doing the listed stretching exercises will provide ball players the opportunity to stretch the arm muscles and if done on a regular basis, avoid injury. REMEMBER: Keep the tubing taut with each exercise!!
- Place the arms at “L” position, keeping the elbows tucked in, close to your sides. Pull arms away from the body which tightens the muscles in the back. Pull until arms reach about 180 degrees. 20-25 reps daily
- Place arms straight down by thighs and pull hands apart while squeezing your shoulder blades together. 20 reps
- Place your arms straight out in front of the shoulders and pull apart while squeezing your shoulder blades together. 20 reps
- Place the arms straight out in front of the forehead and pull apart while squeezing your shoulder blades together. 20 reps
- Place arms straight down by thighs, pull arms apart and hold. While holding, slowly bring arms up in front and over the head, keeping the arms straight out and then return to the starting position. 10-20 reps
- Chest pulls: Attach one end of tubing to a hook, door knob, etc. and stand sideways. Pull tubing across the chest and hold, and return to start position slowly. Both arms. 10-20 reps.
- Bicep pull downs: Attach the tubing to a fence, hook, etc. and assume the “T” position. Hold the tubing as if at 9 o’clock. Pivot and pull down, going from 9-12-6. Rotate the hips and pull down. Rotate back to original position. Do same underhanded. 20-30 reps
- Stand on one end of the tubing. Wrap the tubing around hand/wrist so it is tight/taut. Put the arm in the “L” position from the torso. Do 20-25 reps overhand and same underhand(curls) by pulling tubing straight up to the chest. NOTE: Stand down on the tubing so it does not snap up!
- Tubing squats: Stand with heels on tubing. Squat down and grasp tubing while stretching it snugly. Slowly stand erect pulling on tubing. Slowly return to squat position. 10 reps
There are many other stretch tubing exercises, but these will stretch the basic arm and back muscles, increase strength, and help keep your arm “fresh” and ready to go. GAGPTH!